FAQ - Basic Knowledge...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Repair Hub

Product Supporter
Oct 6, 2018
Pakistan
Basic Knowledge...!

Q - If I don't have Adapter can I connect to EMMC direct on board?

A - YES. But need use 2 external power.

==================================================

Q - Why I need to use double voltage?

A - VCC - power of NAND memory inside eMMC (can be 2.8 - 3.3V)
VCCQ - the power of the internal eMMC controller. (can be 1.8 - 2.8V) (need setup VCCQ in SW same with real voltage)

Q - Do I need to connect anything else to phone PCB?

A - NO. NO NEED CONNECT BATTERY OR USB CABLE TO PCB.
NEED ONLY 6 WIRES: GND, CLK, CMD, DAT0, VCC, VCCQ

Q - Can I repair EMMC CHIP (suddenly dead phones)

A - NO. AT THIS moment you cant repair EMMC. But we work on the solution to update internal emmc firmware. Maybe ... who knows.

Q - Can I repair Suddenly dead phones.

A - Yes. If something was erased in EMMC CHIP.

Q - Can I repair boot on phone with disabling JTAG?

A - Yes you can. (N7100, I9300 boot inside ROM2, after writing ROM2 phones back to work)

Q - Can I repair dead phones I9082, i9105, S6810P with disabled JTAG, aftertouch ROM2.

A: YES you can. Just need to write ROM2 via EMMC direct connection.

Q - Where I can take EMMC DIRECT connection pinout on BOARD?

A - Tested EMMC direct connect pinout we uploading to EMMC pinout under phone folder name on support.

Q - How can I find myself EMMC pinout.

A - Yes you can most of emmc have the same pinouts. Need desolder EMMC and find where to go 5 pins. CMD,CLK, DAT0, VCC,VCCQ

Q - What phones supported by EMMC Tool.

A - Supported any phones for READ/WRITE based on known EMMC. At this moment we support most of known EMMC.
HERE list of EMMC based samsung:

FAQ - Known Error and Problems

Correct data: ------------------------------------------------------------------Wrong log: --------------------------------------------------------WHAT TO DO:

My log Loading eMMC Addon Firmware...
CMD Pullup Level:1691 mV --------------------------------------------CMD Pullup Level: 907 mV----------------check BAD power lines, VCCQ may be low or zero
CMD Active Level:2289 mV--------------------------------------------CMD Active Level:1679 mV----------------check BAD power lines, VCCQ may be low or zero
EMMC CID 15010056545530304D008456646B7F1D
EMMC CSD D02701320F5903FFF6DBFFFF8E40406D
EMMC Manufacturer ID: 15
EMMC OEM ID: 0100
EMMC Date: 07/2012 FW rev.0x0 HW rev.0x0
EMMC Serial #: 2220254315
EMMC NAME: VTU00M-----------------------------------------------------EMMC NAME: 000000-------------------------bad emmc, at this moment only replace
EMMC Capacity: 15028 MB (High-Density Card)

-------------------------------------------------------------------Writing 20000000 bytes to 00000000 ...ROM1-----------
1. Problem with GND (should be strong wire)
-------------------------------------------------------------------eMMC ACK Error at addr:0x0-----------------------------
2. BAD emmc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. BAD power wires

Repair Hub

Product Supporter
Oct 6, 2018
Pakistan
Part 1:
All mobile phones need Storage to store the main firmware or operating system, in android phones density of storage need to be larger than before, mobile phone manufacture need to use NAND based FLASH memory, the newest technology to the NAND based FLASH memory that uses in mobile phones is UFS ( universal flash storage ) we will talk about UFS later, now we will talk about technology before UFS, yes... we will talk about storage named eMMC :

embedded MULTIMEDIA CARD or embedded NAND is a NAND BASED FLASH MEMORY CHIP + CONTROLER, the controller contains MCU and internal LDO, that make the communication between NAND and the HOST faster, use 8 PIN of DATA, 1 PIN of CMD and 1 PIN of CLK.

this eMMC need two supplies, one is VCC ( VDDF ) and another supply is VCCQ ( VDD ) as positive supplies chain, and VSS will connected to the system GND just like usual, we arent need to supply anything to the PIN named VDDI ( this PIN are used to access bank capacitor for the internal LDO only )

there is another PIN named RST, this pin use for executing the hardware reset function and fully controlled by the host.

many packages for eMMC products that available on the mobile phone market, at least we found 7 packages that used in many many mobile phones :

1. FBGA 153 ( used as eMMC and eMCP products )
2. FBGA 169 ( used as eMMC and eMCP products )
3. FBGA 162 ( used as eMCP products )
4. FBGA 186 ( used as eMCP products )
5. FBGA 221 ( used as eMCP products )
6. FBGA 529 ( used as eMCP products )
7. FBGA 254 ( used as eMCP products )

eMCP is MULTI-CHIP PACKAGE based eMMC, means in one IC have two hardware that not related each other ( so its called MULTI-CHIP ) one is eMMC hardware and the other is RAM hardware

if you found eMMC 153 / 169 package, you must see the label name to know what is it ( eMMC only or eMCP ) for examples if you found 153 / 169 chip from Samsung you can see the label if it "KL" ( this is eMMC only ) and if it "KM" ( this is eMCP )
1538843800497.png

For SKhynix it is H2 and H9 and for Sandisk, it is DU and DP, its ok... I will tell you about it in another session, now we are back to the topic. So.. eMMC / eMCP in package FBGA 153 and 169 is possible, you just need to know how to read the label name on the package, the good news is both of eMMC dan eMCP is still have an eMCP hardware inside it, and of course have an eMMC PIN that was already discussed before, the pin map for FBGA 153 and 169 is totally same for the MAIN PIN, the difference between them : 169 have 16 GND PIN more in the right and left side, you can see the picture below
1538843770273.png

The pin mapping will be like this ( top view ) :

eMMC that use package FBGA 153 / 169, have so many PIN that DO NOT USED ( DNU ) or NOT CONNECTED ( NC ) because only eMMC pin that used in this IC, you know about this eMMC PIN, DAT 0, DAT1, DAT2, DAT3, DAT4, DAT5, DAT6, DAT7, CMD, CLK, VCC, VCCQ, GND, RST, VDDI. and the other is NC / DNU.

eMCP that use package FBGA 153 / 169, have less PIN that DNU or NC, because besides eMMC PIN there is RAM PIN, you can see to the picture the RAM PIN, they have another VCC and VCCQ for RAM, they HAVE 32 PIN for DATA ( IO ) and many other, this is why in the eMCP we will found less PIN that NC / DNU.

Please be careful when you faced phone that should have 16 GB ROM and when you open it you found that phone use 153 / 169 package, make sure this phone need eMMC only or need eMCP IF IT NEED eMCP !! :

1. you can not let any of eMMC PIN and RAM PIN broken, please make sure all eMMC PIN and RAM PIN still ok in the phone PCB and please USE eMCP IC's only for replacing
2. you cant USE eMMC models for this phone, I mean you can't USE KLMAG2GE2A-A001, KLMAG2WEMB-B031, KLMAG2GE4A-A001, KLMAG4FE4B-B002, KLMAG4FEAB-B002, KLMAG4FEAB-A002 .... yes I know that eMMC is 16 GB ROM but they don't have RAM inside it, so in this case you need to use eMCP such as KMVTU000LM-B503, KMVYL000LM-B503, KMV2W000LM-B506, KMV3U000LM-B304, KMV3W000LM-B310 that ic have 16 GB of ROM and 1 GB LPDDR1 of RAM. ( for 153 / 169 package if it is eMCP the RAM inside it is always LPDDR1 technology )

If you found some phone only need eMMC in that spot ( some phone use another IC as RAM ) so you have no problem, you can use eMMC ic or eMCP, both of this IC have eMMC inside it, you only need to pay attention to the ROM density that needed by the phones, and of course ic dimension.
just for note: sometimes you need to note that EXT_CSD rev 1.6 eMMC cannot be used into the phone that installed android 5.0 and above.

Repair Hub

Product Supporter
Oct 6, 2018
Pakistan
Part 2 :
from the previous post,
when we faced some phone that use eMMC package FBGA 153 / 169, we need to make sure that spot only for eMMC or need RAM also, how to do this?

There are two simple methods:
--------------------------------

1. visual check
we can read label name on the package of IC, and googling it, search as many as possible information, that makes you sure this one is eMMC only or this one also have RAM inside it, that we called eMCP.

of course if it from Samsung IC's, it's easy :

- if it KL it was eMMC only
- if it KM it was eMMC + RAM ( known as eMCP )

2. pin resistance check
after ic removal, we will found BGA pads on the PCB, you already know which one is eMMC PIN and which one is RAM PIN based on PIN MAP that I posted before
now all you need to do is check some of RAM PIN on the PCB, if you didn't get the resistance value of it, so that pin might be NC / DNU, so this phone PCB only need eMMC, this is why RAM PIN is not used in this PCB ( this is not weird things, some phone use another IC as RAM, standalone RAM, POP RAM above the CPU, etc )

we can do measurement check to the BGA pin in the PCB, just do simple resistance check use ohm meter, just put your red probe to the RAM PIN pad you wanna measure and put the black probe to any system ground of PCB.

from the picture below you can visually found that some of RAM PIN PAD have a surface layer circuit in the PCB, actually we don't need to measure when we can see RAM PIN have a circuit on the surface like this, we can assume that RAM PIN is USE by PHONE PCB, and select eMCP for replacement.
if you are not sure enough, just remember you always always always can do the resistance check on those PIN.

IS NOT WEIRD THINGS !!
-------------------------
Some of phone use eMMC and some of phone use eMCP, its ordinary things,
if that phone needs to use eMMC only, the manufacturer will put FBGA 153 / 169 eMMC, because there is no another package available for eMMC only ( all of 162/186, 221, 529, 254 must be eMCP )

if some phone designed want to use eMMC + RAM LPDDR 1, package 153 / 169 is avaliable

if some phone designed want to use eMMC + RAM LPDDR 2, their PCB designer has a choice to select any eMCP in 162 / 186 package because this kind of package is available for LPDDR 2 eMCP technology.

if some phone designed want to use eMMC + RAM LPDDR3, their PCB designer can choose eMCP in 221 packages, because of this package is known as eMCP that their RAM use LPDDR 3 technology

if some phone designed want to use eMMC + RAM LPDDR4, their PCB designer needs to choose eMCP in 254 packages.

as mobile phone engineers, of course, we will found some phone use 153/169, another one use 162 / 186. another one use 221 or 529, and another one use 254, you no need to said WOW from now on.

NOTE :
the eMMC blocks and RAM blocks are totally separate, and have their own connection, have their own supplies, etc... and not related to each other.

Repair Hub

Product Supporter
Oct 6, 2018
Pakistan
Part 3:
-------------------------------------------------------------

dear all Sysco user,
we are in Part 3 now, we already understand basic things about eMMC and eMCP, I will make other threads that will discuss specific RAM in the eMCP and all of the symptom that would be showing up because of RAM problem.

now we will be going back to the topics, yea it was "eMMC things"

all of those eMMC and eMCP have eMMC blocks anyway
inside eMMC there are controller and NAND, trough this controller whole of NAND can be accessed by the HOST.

http://forum.**************/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=365250&stc=1&d=1524055864

in the phone PCB, our PHONE PROCESSOR is the HOST, all of the processors have a right to access the eMMC trough controller.

huh, what do you mean about all of the processors?
there are application processor part, there are baseband processor part
it was not new things.. if you remember some of NOKIA BB5 PHONES, have a RAP3G ( works as baseband processor / CMT / modem ) and OMAP ( works as application processor or APE part ) the same things still happen now, some processor chip build BASEBAND PROCESSOR and APE PROCESSOR in a single chip, many of MediaTek PROCESSOR have structure like this.

http://forum.**************/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=365251&stc=1&d=1524056660

MT65xx : APP processor + BASEBAND processor that supported 2G and 3G
MT67xx : APP processor + BASEBAND processor that supported 2G, 3G, and 4G

so many MTK processor it was built in APP and BB processor, you will not found two processor chip inside Phone PCB.

the same thing will found in QUALCOMM based phones, if that phone use QUALCOMM processor "MSM" products ( Mobile station modem ) processor, this kind of CHIP have APP processor and BB processor inside of it.

http://forum.**************/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=365254&stc=1&d=1524063883

if we found some phone use Exynos processor or intel atom processor, they don't have BASEBAND inside that processor chip, so... manufacture needs to put another processor as BB processor... so... Shanon, Infineon or Qualcomm "MDM" processor usually chosen to works as BASEBAND processor.

I would love to start a session about those processor things for sure, maybe I need to create other threads for it, now we need to go back to our primary discussion : "all of the processor on our phone can access to the NAND through the controller" yes, as the host, processor can send command, and read, erase, or write to NAND area trough MMC controller.

eMMC controller is easy to communicate, only need two supplies of VCC and VCCQ, VSS ( GND ), and CLK, CMD, the HOST can access NAND use 8-bit data ways ( dat0 - dat7 )

the HOST need to have NAND access to RUN the hardware of the mobile phone, to run the baseband/modem part and app part, all of the operating systems that store inside the NAND

for example :

bootloader
sbl
mbr / gpt
recovery
boot image
nv
modem
splash screen
system
cache
user data

all oF NAND inside the eMMC, have a 4 basic partition :

BOOT1 PARTITION
BOOT2 PARTITION
RPMB PARTITION
USER AREA PARTITION

manufacture have a right to put their bootloader to any of partition, actually the manufacture will follow the type of based processor/platform, for example, if it uses MTK processor, so manufacture need to know that MTK processor will works when bootloader is in BOOT1 PARTITION, so the preloader file that operated as BOOTLOADER in MTK PHONE need to write on BOOT 1 PARTITION as well, and write another to USER AREA partition.

"each platform have their own method, you need to know little bit of it, some of it similar, some of it has a special need, its ok no need to worry, Sysco box will help you to prepare emmc for each target phone platform, especially if you have ext_csd for that phones ( this is why we need works together to make some huge database of dump + ext_CSD collection of phone you might be found for repair ) we build our support area now, just wait and support us to do this"

When do WE need TO DO THIS?
------------------------------

when your phone NAND cannot be programmed (partial/full) use any software that uses a USB connection.

normal phone can be programmed use USB method, use much software, some of them can be programmed under the FASTBOOT method, some of them can be programmed under SOC method.... yes it was correct procedure... and if your phone has no problem with their eMMC, you will found everything works fine.... but, I am not talking about phone that still can be programmed use USB, I am not talking about phone that still has full normal eMMC inside of it... I am talking about a phone that might have a problem with their emmc, I am talking about a phone that cant is done using regular USB software.

in this condition you always still have option to do direct eMMC programming, for repairing the old eMMC purpose or for prepare the replacement eMMC for that phone.
the most important things for me is many people know about emmc and emmc direct programming method.

Status
Not open for further replies.